Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Restlessness

Yesterday, like BlackRainbowEyes, I really didn't want to do yoga. I just wasn't feeling it. I was physically tired, and just wanted to knit and watch TV.

But thankfully, I read her post, and it did inspire me to do *some*. By some I mean only about 4 sun salutations and child's pose… but at least I got on the mat and tried. I crawled away from my mat and sat in meditation for a little while, while repeating the 5 Reiki precepts quietly to myself in Japanese. They translate to:

Just for today,
I release anger,
I release worry,
Work hard on myself,
Be grateful,
Be kind to others.

It satisfied me. At least I did something, despite not wanting to. So, I went back to knitting and watching TV.

I woke this morning with the memory of a reoccurring theme from my dreams. In many different places, I recall wandering around with my yoga mat, searching for a place to lay it down to do yoga. So, upon awaking, yoga was the first thing on my mind. I thought of how I might get in a brief practice before heading to the hospital to visit my mom.

I remembered this short video from the 21-day Yoga Journal challenge from which I'm currently receiving e-mail reminders. It's about 20 minutes (even though it says 15), and it says it's good to do in the morning. So, I gave it a try.



I followed it thoroughly, but I was restless throughout the whole thing. I think it's designed more for when you just roll out of bed, and haven't woken up yet. I was pretty awake and energized by the time I started it, so I really had to slow down to follow it. It might be more helpful for me if I followed it in the evening—to unwind just before bed. It did seem to get me to relax a bit.

I was happy to have gotten onto the mat, but it wasn't what I'm looking for in a yoga flow. I wrapped up my stuff and ran out the door to hopefully get to the hospital before the chemo treatment started.

I'm planning on trying to get another flow in later on today. We'll see what happens :)

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE those Reiki precepts. I think it's great that you simply arrived to the mat...every practice is different every day! That's what I'm realizing too. It is so vital to have compassion and patience with ourselves. Showing up to the mat is what matters...not what happens when we're there. Just arriving.

    ReplyDelete